Sunday, September 29, 2013

Update on my ARP and field-based activities



At the moment, I am about to finish up on the 3rd course in this program. I feels like I just started in the program so being 25% of the way done is an awesome feeling. With that being said, it has been a challenge to balance work and school. Just like everyone else who is currently teaching, I have been extremely busy. With the everyday struggle of teaching and planning my math lessons, coaching duties, UIL Calculators practice, and being included in our Technology, SBDM, and School Improvement committees, it has been hard to dedicate as much time as I would like to my studies.

My ARP is going to focus on the effects our STEM and project based learning activities have on our 6th grade STAAR results. The STEM program has started off well. We have a great group of 6th grade teachers, many of them new teachers, who are excited to be a part of the STEM program. Our new 6th grade students have really bought into the project based learning lessons we created over the summer for them. They know they are part of a special program and have shown pride in that. I have already created a data matrix that I will be using to track student achievement on our local and district level assessments. The goal is to look for a correlation between our project based learning lessons and student achievement on those assessments. Once the STAAR exam results are in, I will have a better understanding on the success of the program.

As part of my field based activities, I have become involved in a lot of activities at our campus. I normally coach our UIL calculator applications team and our TMSCA team but this year I was selected to be one of the UIL coordinators for our campus. It has given me the opportunity to learn about the financial aspects of the program. I have learned to create purchase orders and plan our budget. I also get to join our head principal, athletic coordinators, and the other UIL coordinator in our monthly UIL coordinators meeting. It has been an eye opening experience for me. I had no idea of all the events that have to get voted on and approved. I was also chosen to be part of our Site Based Decision Making committee. We have only had one meeting so far but I am excited to take part in a committee that I know can have a major impact on the education of our students. I was also placed on our campus Technology Committee. In this committee I will be given the opportunity to evaluate and consider technological applications that are currently in place at our campus and also look for new resources to possibly bring in. Part of my field-based activities plan was to help out with the technology at our campus. I was able to do so as soon as the school year started. Our math department received Smart Boards so I was able to train our math teachers on how to use the smart board. I even went as far as to set up their Smart Boards and computers for some of the teachers who aren’t tech savvy. We also replaced all of our document cameras with new “Lady Bug” wireless document cameras. Some teachers were able to get theirs working but I set up about 50% of the document cameras for the 6th grade teachers. I have also been able to be involved in several interview committees and was able to supervise our registration days during the summer.

I know there is still a long road ahead of me, but I feel confident that I will be able to complete all of my field-based activities and my ARP.


No comments:

Post a Comment